Sunday, October 28, 2007

BB

I'm choosing only to write about "Writers Block" in this "blog" because it is something that I have been faced with time and time again.

It's not something that is fun, and it just pisses you off when it hits you. You feel as though you have no control over it, but in reality, you do. You can think of something that was going on earlier that day, or maybe last week, it may not be new, but it is still an idea none the less.

Lamott mentioned that you can remember using the idea before, but I don't think that that matters. So what if you have used the idea before, it was the idea, not the complete context. Look at J.K. Rowling, she used the same idea 7 times, look where that got her. Everyone believes that Rowling is awesome, that she's a genius.

Many great authors would not be great authors if they hadn't used the same ideas. Rowling is one, Tolkien, Shakespeare, just to name a few.

I know that I reach writers block time and again, but I stumble through it. I'll pick up a poem I've already written, edit through it, and in the process, think of another; it all works out.

So I don't think that writers block is a bad thing, at least not for me, but then again, I'm not an author on a deadline...

No comments: