Sunday, October 21, 2007

"keeping close to home"

This article really jumps out at me. While reading it, I couldn't stop thinking about home or where I grew up, how I grew up and and just everything that correlates with it. For me, this article is saying "do not forget where you came from or the people who helped you get where you are today. remember to take all of what you know and believe with you, do not let anyone influence you to turn your back on who you really are."

Bell Hooks brings up so many points that relate to our college experiences. We have no money, we all come from different places, and we all have a different set of beliefs and values. She also talks about how "class" was a big thing where she went attended school. I'd say it is still an issue today, but not that big of an issue. But Hooks mentions how class was perceived as your social status in money and where you grew up instead of your where your set of values lye. I think for me, that the set of values is more important. But I also think that I say this because I'm one of those college students with no money but a high set of values and beliefs. I stand my ground when I need to and when I see fit; I back down when I realize that I need to; and I don't take shit from people when I don't have too.

On that note, I really think Hooks should have spoken up when she heard the way that her "friends" were talking about "lower class" citizens. It really shouldn't matter. Given the fact that they know her and what she is like, if they were really her friend, they wouldn't have cared. Had she spoken up, they could have heard everything that they were talking about from her point of view; a point of view from someone who has experience in that area, who has lived that lifestyle. Instead, they were being bias.

No comments: